Sunday, November 30, 2008

You Are My Sunshine


Kaylee called me the other evening. It was late for her--9:30 pm Philly time. She needed to tell me something.


Kaylee "Grandma I need you".


Grandma(trying to maintain) "Well Kaylee I need you too".


Kaylee "No Grandma!! I NEED you, you are way way far away and I need you!"


Now just WHAT am I to say to that?? I'm afraid I wasn't too comforting with my reply--I tried to explain that she needed her mom and her dad, needed to be with them and that I would see her soon. I asked her if we should sing one of "OUR" songs--you know the ones--oldies that you change the words to be about our grandkids. Kaylee didn't want to sing over the phone she wanted me there. How come it hurts to be wanted I wondered.


I miss my little Kaylee girl. I hum our songs and sign them to myself. But ya know----it just isn't the same. So if you find me humming "You Are My Sunshine" or "My Grandfather's Clock" with tears in my eyes, just remember that I'm misisng my little Kaylee.

1 comment:

Grandpa D & Grandma P said...

I know how you feel. I hate having my grandkids so far away.