Friday, November 21, 2008

The how and why's of Wookie Wonkeye





I'm looking at the Wonkeye and shaking my head. He is 18#'s of weirdness. He is a HIM/IT. He is an ankle biter, groomer required, LITTLE DOG.


Maybe it's time to review my list of important qualities in a dog/my dog.

1) Big

2) Wash and Wear

3) GSD

4) Long Legs (must have for walking partner)

5) A Bark and Growl that will put the fear of God in a non-believer.

6) GSD

7) GSD

8) Well behaved

9) Female/spayed

10) GSD


(GSD=German Shepherd Dog)

After my old GSD Sara Screwloose went to her great reward I was pretty heart broken.

I said I couldn't do this again. I was out of the dog business. No more. It hurt too much, too gut wrenching when they died.

I stood by that for many months. Then Laura and Phil moved to Texas. (So it's all their fault!)

That left me with no kids closer than Texas, the grandkids in Florida and PA and me only working parttime. My house was big, empty and quiet. Too quiet.

I began searching for a small dog that could travel with me. A sturdy little dog. No yapper, no leg humping, no pony tails in the hair crap. My goal was a shelter dog, adult please, no puppy training.

If you haven't looked lately, the shelter here is full of Pit Bulls and Labs. I like both breeds but they wouldn't be very comfortable stuffed under an airline seat. I looked for 3 months. Zip, nada, zilch, zero.

My next move was to check out Craig's List. By the time I saw the listing, the dog was long gone. I didn't think I was going to find a dog. I didn't want a pure breed, I was looking for a little mutt.

Finally one day at work-- I was diligently working (yeah right!) online and just happened to jump over to Craig's List and wha-laa a litter of 7 or 8 pups--little mom, little dad--Shih Tzu-Lhasa-Apso. I scrambled for my cellphone and called. I got Voice Mail. I left my "very interested" message and hung up.

Long story short I got the last pup, who eventually got named Wookie Wonkeye.

Now could someone please answer this:


How did that 3# puppy grow into this 18 # dog???










No comments: