Monday, March 16, 2009

Chuck approved Black Bean Soup

I have several cooking blogs I routinely visit. One of my favorites is called "The Half Assed Kitchen" because they use many short cuts and don't like fussy recipes that take tons of ingredients. This is THE BEST Black Bean Soup I have tasted. Quick and easy. And if this isn't soup weather---then nothing is!!





Here's what you need and how you do it:



1 medium onion, minced
1 celery stalk, chopped (optional)
Olive or canola oil
2 cans black beans (with liquid)
32 ounces chicken or veggie broth
1 14-ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes
1-2 cups ham, cubed (optional)
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon thyme
1-2 Tablespoons balsalmic vinegar (adds a lot of flavor, don't skip)
Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream



Sauté onion (and celery if you use it) in olive oil over medium heat. Add black beans, broth, tomatoes, ham, cumin, thyme, balsalmic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Let simmer, covered but vented, for at least an hour. Preferably two.
Spoon into bowls and top with sour cream.





Enjoy!





I paired this with homemade rye dinner rolls and butter. I like my own cooking way too much. So I am going back on South Beach and scrape some fat off my behind, and there will be no more homemade rolls for a while. Sorry Chuck.





I love this picture! It is from our Bike Trip 2007.
I think we know how to vacation--eat lots, sleep well and surround yourselves with wonderful friends & family.

No comments: